Download and Install Audacity:
NOTE: The following article is for informational purposes. Stenograph has no affiliation with Audactiy and does not offer technical support with the installation or use of Audacity itself but this is a common method of converting MP3 format audio files to WAV format.
- Download Audacity using a web browser of your choice or left click the link provided: http://www.audacityteam.org/download/
- Save the file to your computer (e.g. Desktop).
- Install Audacity from the save location by double clicking the downloaded file.
Convert an MP3 to a WAV using Audacity:
- Open Audacity then left click File, Open.
- The "Select one or more audio files" dialog box displays. Browse to the location of the MP3 file, single left click on the file, then click Open.
- Once the MP3 has been opened you will see something similar to the image below. In the lower right-hand corner of the display is the Project Rate (Hz): option. Change the rate to 8,000.
- Now left click on File, Export Audio. The Export Audio dialog box displays. Select the save location for the wav file. Next to the Save as type: drop down menu, make sure Wav (Microsoft) signed 16-bit PCM is selected. Click Save.
- Finally, an Edit Metadata dialog box will appear. Click the OK button.
Here is a short animation showing the MP3 to WAV conversion process. Please note that the animation loops.